The ever-growing BIG DRIVE SHOOTOUT is based on 5 rounds of sound clip comparisons.
- Round 1 – Fingerstyle (Precision Bass)
- Round 2 – Picking (muted, Jazz Bass)
- Round 3 – Picking (legato, Jazz Bass)
- Round 4 – Slap Crunch
- Round 5 – Jaco-ish (bridge pickup only, Jazz Bass)
Please note that this shootout covers anything from boost pedals with only subtle drive to overdrive, distortion and fuzz monsters.
In most rounds, there are 4 different modes: Subtle, Medium, Heavy and Max. This basically covers the entire range of drive for each pedal, but some obviously have a much larger range that others, so some may go from extremely subtle to subtle, while others go from crunchy to screaming.
Please note that ‘Max’ is absolutely 100% full-on. The drive or gain knob is all the way up and whenever there is a Blend option, it is a 100% wet signal. Often this is way over the top for my taste, but I think you should know the max range of each pedal. You could say that SUBTLE to HEAVY is the range that I find usable (which is of course very subjective).
At this point, you can compare these pedals:
- Darkglass – B3K Bass Overdrive
- Mad Professor – Blueberry Bass Overdrive
- Tech 21 – SansAmp Bass Driver DI (BDDI)
- Darkglass – Vintage Microtubes
- Tech 21 – SansAmp VT Bass DI
- Electro Harmonix – Bass Metaphors
- TC Electronic – Spark Booster
- AMT – BC-1 Bass Crunch
- Darkglass – B7K Ultra
- Red Witch – Zeus
- VFE Pedals – Triumvirate
- Darkglass – B7K
- Rodenberg – GAS 728B+ NG
- ??? (MORE TO BE ADDED SOON!)
You can check out each of these pedals in much greater detail and listen to many more sound clips in the individual reviews.
ALL ‘BIG’ SHOOTOUTS